The capital city of Cherkasy region on the right bank of the Dnieper in Kremenchug reservoir was first mentioned in 1394 after joining the Russian Empire Cherkasy become a small district town first governorship of Ascension (1795), and – the province of Kiev (1797).
At the beginning of XIX century. city ??lay along the banks of the Dnieper and from time to time zatoplyuvalosya spring flood. 1815 p. implemented a plan of regular building elevated plateau above the coastal area, which is modern and Cherkasy.