Chernivtsi – the largest city and capital of Ukrainian Bukovina on the banks of the River Prut – first mentioned in a charter by 1408. As part of the Moldavian state in the XV-XVI centuries the city was an important center of trade and customs on the way from Poland to the Black Sea. Joining Bukovina 1774, the Austrian monarchy gave new impetus to the development of the region , and in 1786 become the center of Chernivtsi district, and in 1849 – a separate province.
The oldest architectural buildings of the city are wooden Nicholas ( 1607) , Ascension (XVII c.) And Spyrydonivska (1707 ) church. Launched a modern attractive building architectural diversity Chernivtsi Holy Spirit Cathedral (1844) and an indispensable attribute of a European city – City Hall (1847 ). They were almost a century has reached a number of dozens of urban religious and secular buildings , including the Armenian Church ( 1875), and the building of the Ukrainian Music and Drama Theater. Be rented (1905 ) and Nicholas Cathedral (1939 ) and many others.
Special place against the backdrop of Chernivtsi and all Ukraine occupies an architectural calling card Bukovina – a complex of buildings chervonotsehelnyh metropolitan residence , consisting of seminars Church ( 1882), the Metropolitan building ( 1876), Seminary building ( 1870) and the building for visitors. After the post-war restoration in restored buildings located Chernivtsi National University. J.Fedkovich.
1869 Bukovina Chernivtsi becoming the capital of the Duchy of Austria- Hungarian Empire and soon turn into a successful and prosperous city . Its center is cluttered and profitable banking houses, mansions officials, religious buildings and administrative buildings. Well maintained decent urban development 1840-1940 ‘s Chernivtsi distinguishes among hundreds of other cities of Ukraine.