The Architectural Ansemble of St. George Cathedral was founded in the 14th century but what we see today represents the cardinal reconstruction of the middle of the 18th century. The erection of this pearl of the Ukrainian Baroque was completed in 1770 under the project of Bernard Merderer (more widely known as Bernard Meretyn).
Sculptural design of the facade of the Cathedral is the creation of the great artist of the 18th century J.G.Pinsel. His sculptural group “Saint George the Dragon Slayer” which completes the pyramid-shaped attic of the Cathedral is the masterpiece of the plastic art of the world. The icons of the church belong to the prominent Ukrainian artist’s brush Luka Dolyns’kyj. The sculptor M.Fiiewich created the sculptural allegorical figures which decorate the gate and he also adorned the two-way staircase.
To the architectural ensemble of St. George Cathedral belong the palace of metropolitans, monastery cells and the bell tower in which the most ancient bell in Ukraine has been preserved (1341).