Boryspil district

The main airport of Ukraine is located close to the city of Boryspil. The first-rate highway links the national capital with the airport; the width of the highway allows using it even for the aircraft emergency landing. The asphalt strip crosses the villages of Velyka Oleksandrivka, Hora, Schastlyve, Prolisky… These villages are part of Boryspil district, which has an ancient history. Its present-day area is 1,485 KM2 or 5.2% of the total area of Kyiv region. Under the ancient Rus’ Boryspil lands belonged to Pereiaslav principality. Existing archeological sites show seven ancient Rus’ towns and ten settlements on Boryspil lands. The site of ancient settlement in present-day Boryspil used to be the largest fortification in Kyiv Rus’. In 1015, when Pechenihs attacked the Rus’, Prince Volodymyr sent his son Borys to fight them. He was trecherously killed in the then vast Boryspil lands. Since those times the people cherish the memory of Prince Borys by calling the town at the place of his death with the name «Borys’ field«. The name of modern Boryspil goes back to those times.

Settlements, townships, tumulusus are still found in the district. One still comes across implements and utensils of different ages, which are the main source for studying the ancient historical periods.

A set of casting moulds of the late Bronze Age (thirteenth-twelfth century B. C.) was found in the village of Holovuriv.

The remains of the settlements and a tumulus of the Bronze Age are found in Bydnytskyi Field and Obirky tracts as well as in the Protsiv forest.

Next to the village of Vyshen’ky, which is situated on the bank of the small river Zoloch, the remains of a Neolitic settlement were found. On the outskirts of Vyshen’ky there is a series of high Scythian moulds and a seventeenth century settlement. The traces of ancient settlements and tumulusus were found at every elevation in the river flood plains. The remains of the Neolitic Age and Trypillia Culture settlements have been excavated close to Baklazhne lake. On the outskirts of the village there is a tumulus of the early Slavs.

Numerous artifacts of different historical epochs have won the village recognition as a true archeological treasury. In the nineteenth century the priest F. P. Yanovs’kyi made a considerable collection of antiquities on the outskirts of the village. Most exhibits play at Boryspil History Museum. The scientist and Viktor Yova initiated its establishment and has been its permanent director ever since.

The museum was established in 1967 owning to the support from local authorities. The museum display familiarizes the visitors with the most interesting artifacts of Boryspil district since the most ancient times till our days. The museum halls exhibit the paintings by modern artists of Boryspil land, among them there are a lot of unique and talented ones.

For example, the painter Ihor Zemlians’kykh, who lives in the village of Voron’kiv, depicts birds and birds only! Sometimes it is hard to believe that you are looking at the picture and not at a real, alive bird — the image is so skillfully presented by Dior. You can see for yourself when you visit Voron’kiv and call on the young artist, who lives at 25 Krups’ka Street.

The village of Voron’kiv is situated 15 km south-west of Boryspil. In 1109 the ancient Rus’ chronicles described the village as the fortification Voronytsia. Voronytsia is also mentioned in Precepts of Volodymyr Monomakh. According to folk tales, the village was named after the warrior Voron, who lived in that fortification and was killed while defending it from Pechenehi.

The oldest archeological artifacts, found in Voron’kiv, date back to the second — the early first millennium B. C. A group of ancient tumulusus of the Bronze and Early Iron Age was found two kilometers to the west and southwest of the village. In central Voron’kiv there are remains of a Kyiv Rus’ settlement and rampart.
Many famous names are connected with Voron’kiv. Sholom Alei-chem, the future classic of Jewish literature, has spent his childhood there. The famous Ukrainian poet Pavlo Tychyna liked to come to the village.

If you have reached Voron’kiv, do pay a visit to Kyilov, which is situated a little further along the highway, ten kilometers to the south. This village on the left bank of the Dnipro lies in a place which probably enjoys almost all the best natural resources of Ukraine: the unbounded waters of the Dnipro – Slavuta, masses of pine-tree forests, hilly and sandy river flood plain, green lush meadows, clean and invigorating air. It is possible to do anything here — pick up mushrooms, swim in the Dnipro, fish!

The village of Husyntsi (15 km from Kyiliv along the coast of the Kaniv storage pool) is quite difficult to reach since there is no asphalt road leading to it. You are going to make there an unexpected discovery: a church in the middle of water! When the artificial Kaniv Sea was filled as ordered by the then authorities, the neighboring villages were flooded, and the buildings destroyed. But they did not dare to destroy the church of the late eighteenth century. To protect it, they even raised an earthen bank around, and now the church cupola rises above the sea as a surreal reminder of the days bygone. A quite moving and disturbing image it is! Impressed by what he had seen, the famous Ukrainian singer, Pavlo Mozgovyi wrote a song and shot a video-clip with the moving images of going on a boat around the abandoned church in Husyntsi.

Archeological artifacts, found close to the villages of Kyiliv and
Staryi, prove that people have been present in this land since the
ancient times. The research resulted in many finds of different historical epochs and cultures. These are fragments of crockery, weapons, settlements, and tumulusus. Scythean mounds, which were explored during 1962-1963 on the present-day poultry farm in Stare, date back to the fourth century B. C. The ramparts, which
belong to a settlement of the twelft-thirteenth centuries partially remain in the western part of the Stare village. It was used as a fortification even later, for instance, during the Cossacks’ times. Close to the settlement a village of the same time was found.

The village of Stare was established at the site of an ancient Rus’ settlement. It used to be called Krasnopillia (a Beautiful Field). Possibly the first settlers wanted the beauty of surrounding nature to be reflected in this name or at the beginning it just denoted a nice fertile field.

It is necessary to come by a little village of Sulymivka while traveling about the Boryspil land. Here you can see one of the most interesting sites at the Left-bank territory of the Kyiv region — Pokrovs’ka church (St Mary-the-Protectress). It was built during 1622—1629 by the order of the famous Cossack leader, Ivan Sulyma, Het’man of Zaporizhia Troop, and it is a rare sample of three-part and one-story stone church, as well as a highly artistic piece of Ukrainian architecture.