Рус Укр Eng

Many dub Lviv (Lvov in Russian) a Central European city, but, in fairness, its infrastructure and entertainment scene has quite a way to go far. However, until 1939 it had never been ruled from Moscow, and this has had a significant impact on the city. With its picturesque churches and beautiful squares, Lviv is famous for its trademark coffee houses serving finest quality ‘kava’.


Sights of Lviv

Lviv is the largest city in Western Ukraine, its informal capital situated on the banks of rivers Poltva and Zubr. The original town was founded in the middle of the XIII century. on the edge of ridges bore Galician-Volyn prince Danylo and named after his son. On a hill rising above the neighborhood, appeared fortress, called the High Castle .

Settlement is mentioned for the first time in 1256 p., And later (1272 ) became the center of the principality. On these ancient times Lviv resemble ruins and oldest architectural monument of the city – St. Nicholas Church , built in the XIII century.

In 1349 the city seized the Polish king Casimir III the Great, who ordered founded New Lviv , named for the Latin style – Leopolis . 1356 newly granted city rights Leopolis gradually becoming a major craft (almost thirty shops) and commercial center and is transformed into the main ” market of Eastern Europe.” Here were Ruthenians , Poles, invited more Danylo Germans, Armenians, and Jews, who are already in the XVI century. accounted for a quarter of the urban population. On trust domains resembles Armenian Cathedral of the Assumption (1370 ), and the Jews exterminated by the Nazis – the remains of the synagogue “Golden Rose” (1582 ).

In the late Middle Ages , a host of urban structures , which ( though Mosaic ) create amazing architectural view of the historical heart of the modern city that has no analogues in Ukraine . 1998 the central part of the city was included in the list of World Cultural and Natural Heritage List.

Old Town and there rozbudovuvalosya the first Partition of Poland in 1772 It arose by Western canon – the central part occupied by Market Square , surrounded by residential quarters , temples and fortifications lines ( total area of ??about 50 ha).

In mid- 1527 Leopolis was completely destroyed by a terrible fire and the city council (since 1540 ) ordered the building of the walls inside of the building only . The system of fortifications Leopolis developed until the mid XV century. and lasted for about three centuries has withstood dozens of sieges. Sometimes urban community vidkupovuvalasya of aggressors and only once Leopolis was captured by Swedish King Kar -house XII ( 1704) .

Market Square was created in the middle of the XIV century. and consistent with the traditions of medieval European town planning , its architectural ensemble formed in the second half of XVI – early XVIII century. The central part of the square is a mandatory component of the medieval town – Hall. The first came here in the late XIV century. , And its current tower cut Lviv sky 1835 Square is surrounded by dense rack 44 houses that belonged to the past, merchants and prominent citizens. The most famous of them – the Black Stone , the original was created in 1589 by Italian masters and then lined with blackened limestone.

After the first Partition of Poland in 1772 Leopolis departed Austria was named Lemberg and became the capital of a vast region . City of instantly change your look ( dismantled fortifications ), it was decorated with charming buildings in the style of Viennese Classicism : Theater complaint Beck (1842 , now a theater. Zankovetska ) Ossolineum (1830 , now a scientific library. Stefanik ) Galician Diet (1881 , now the main building of the University. Franko ) opera and ballet. S. Crewe – shelnytskoyi (1900), Lviv Railway Station (1903) and many others. In those days formed the architectural ensemble of the city center as today overwhelms visitors.

Sights of Lviv

Reastaurants of Lviv

More info…